A Peripheral is a Minecraft block which can be controlled using the Peripheral API. Sometimes this is the main purpose of the block, e.g. for monitors and printers. Other times, it is merely incidental to the block's main purpose.
ComputerCraft itself includes some peripherals. Specifically:
- Monitors and advanced monitors allow computers to display text in the world.
- Printers allow computers to print text on paper.
- Disk drives allow computers to access floppy disks.
- Wireless and wired modems allow computers to send messages to each other.
- Computers, advanced computers, turtles and advanced turtles can be turned on and off using the peripheral API.
For a full list of ComputerCraft peripherals, see Category:Peripherals.
Many mods add blocks which are peripherals. If this is the main purpose of the mod, it is often called a peripheral mod. Confusingly, this is sometimes shortened to peripheral.
Some mods, notably OpenPeripheral, add a peripheral ability to blocks which don't normally have it (such as chests).