| This page needs some serious TLC, stat!|
Please help us by cleaning it, fixing it up, or sparing it some love.
(Reason: Needs correction and more examples -alekso56))
- This page is for the Modem blocks. For the modem API, see Modem (API)
|Peripheral?||Yes- Modem (API)|
Modems are blocks which can be used to transfer data between computers, using the Rednet API or the Modem API. To place a modem on a side of a computer, right-click to place the modem while sneaking. To use the modems, you need to connect the modems to each other by placing cables.
Example (Rednet API)
- Place 2 computers and add modems to them by clicking the right mouse button while sneaking.
- Access them, and start Lua.
- Once Lua has started, type "rednet.open ("<relative location to modem, e.g. left, right>")" on both computers.
- Check if there exists a connection: a dim, red ring should be found around the modem, closest to the computer/peripheral it is connected to.
- Type on one computer "rednet.receive (60)". This will make the computer freeze for 60 seconds, or until it has received a signal from the other computer(s).
- Now, type "rednet.broadcast ('<your message>')" on the other computer. This should send your message to all computers connected.
- Opening the first computer should show the message written on the second computer.
Example 2 (Modem and peripheral)
- If you want to use a modem to communicate with a peripheral you might want to take a look at the Peripheral API
Modem as a Peripheral
To use a Modem as a peripheral, you need to either call a method directly using peripheral.call(), or wrap the modem using the Peripheral API. Wrapped modems provide all functions listed in the Rednet API.
For this example, we have a Modem connected to the top of our Computer:
-- Immediately invoke a method without wrapping peripheral.call("top", "open")
-- You can also "wrap" the peripheral side to a variable: local modem = peripheral.wrap("top") modem.open("top")
|ComputerCraft Blocks and Items|
|Computer||Advanced Computer||Command Computer||Disk Drive|
|Wireless Modem||Ender Modem||Wired Modem||Networking Cable|
|Pocket Computer||Advanced Pocket Computer||Floppy Disk||Printed Page|
|Printed Pages||Printed Book|